Sunday, June 14, 2009

A conversation with Sophie

Eight year old Sophie turned around in the pew in front of us today. She looked at me and asked, "Do you have a baby in your belly?"

"Yes, I do. It's a baby boy," I replied.

"Does he have all his body parts?," she asked.

"No."

"What is missing?," she inquired.

"The thinking part," I responded.

"Oh. Is he going to live?"

"He won't live long, maybe just a few minutes, but I've heard of a baby like him who lived for three weeks."

"I hope he lives for three weeks. That would be better."

I told her that I was glad for the gospel because it teaches me that families can be together forever. Although I won't be able to raise Fisher right now, I have hope that we will all be with him after this life. Sophie nodded and turned back around.

This afternoon I realized Fisher isn't really missing his "thinking part". His spirit is complete and intelligent. It's just his physical body that is missing something. That will be remedied in the resurrection. In the meantime Fisher will be using his thinking part to do whatever work God has in store for him on the other side.

1 comment: