Monday, June 8, 2009

Hand-me-downs

Any kid from a large family knows what hand-me-downs are. Although I only have two children, they are quite aware of the concept. Frankly our home is full of useful things that aren't being used by anybody. They could richly bless the lives of others and I'm feeling like purging, so I am. A few days ago I told Conrad one of Donovan's shirts was too small and told him to put it in a pile of give-away stuff. Conrad looked at me as if I were crazy and said, "We need to save it for Fisher". Oh, I wish I felt the same way. I wish I could be making plans for our life with Fisher while saving cute outfits for him.

The concept of time and life in general must be different for Conrad than it is for me. I recently told him I heard of an anecephalic baby who lived for three weeks. He looked at me and said, "Wow, that's a long time". Yes, maybe it is. Maybe it would be just long enough to let Fisher wear his brothers' hand-me-down, bear-bottom sleeper. Maybe it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment